Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Danny Kaye's Christmas Album

For some reason, I don't think anyone has ever released a Danny Kaye Christmas album.

He recorded at least 10 holiday tracks, as singles and for other albums, that could be repackaged to fill a CD—“A Merry Christmas at Grandmother’s House (Over the River and Through the Woods)” and the kiddie-voiced “All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth” with the Andrews Sisters, the novelty songs “Santa Claus Looks Like My Daddy” and “Eat Eat Eat,” “Snow” and “White Christmas” with his White Christmas co-stars, a jazzy “Jingle Bells” for the Five Pennies soundtrack, and holiday standards “Deck the Halls,” “Oh Come All Ye Faithful,” and “The First Noel.”

But there are also at least a half-dozen more numbers that could be used, now that Danny’s daughter, Dena, has shown a willingness to crack open the vault that for decades has held hostage his radio shows, TV series and specials. “Jingle Journey,” “Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” “Let There Be Peace on Earth,” “Waltz Around the Christmas Tree,” “We Won’t Be in England for Christmas,” and “Some Children See Him” could all be pulled off the soundtracks of his variety series’ annual Christmas shows to be used on a CD.

Over the years, Danny’s wife, Sylvia Fine, would write well over 100 songs for her husband to perform. Ironically, she didn’t write any of these 16 holiday songs. The one Sylvia Fine Christmas song I could find a lyric sheet for Danny never recorded. It’s a short ditty called “Why, Mommy?”:

It’s a funny thing about Santy Claus –
It suddenly just came to me –
I saw him in all the department stores
And he never looked the same to me.
In Macy’s he was tall and fat,
In Gimbel’s he was short and flat,
At Rogers Peet he was red as a beet,
At Lord & Taylor he looked much paler;
At F.A.O. Schwartz his nose had warts,
Next day at Sears – they disappears;
Then came an even worse dilemma:
Two of him were at Hammacher Schlemmer.
Poor old Santy Claus, alack and alas,
How does he know when it’s him in the looking glass?
® Sylvia Fine

Maybe we’ll see a “Christmas with Danny Kaye” CD released in time for next Christmas. It just won’t include “Why, Mommy?”

5 comments:

  1. Putting out a Kaye holiday album would keep his talent and memory alive! It's a wonderful idea and perhaps you can drop that into Dena's ear at that Paley event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being one of those that has all you listed here, being an avid Danny collector Why Mommy is included as part of "Santa Claus looked like my Daddy. There also seems to be 2 versions of Jingle Bells out, one which seems to be Danny Solo, and I believe the other may include Bob Crosby vocals as well. And not to forget from the Five Pennies soundtrack as well, with a pitch, The Clicquot Club Eskimos are on the air, from Indiana Radio Montage fits rather nicely. He also recorded Good King Wenceslas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zzebon-
    Thank you for the great additions! Is "Why Mommy" part of the song "Santa Claus Looks Like My Daddy" or something added on?
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Seems Santa Claus Looks Like My Daddy is a DK song. Although Buck Owens had Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy, they are two separate songs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all penned by Sylvia, but as so close to the idea of the other, it just wasn't mentioned. The "Why Mommy" part is a vocal bridge bringing the song together and is pretty much the center of the song. Lyrics are:
      Sssshhhhh!!
      I take me out of bed
      And down the stairs I go
      I should be fast asleep by now
      I know, I know, I know
      But I hear reindeer up above
      And downstairs I here noise
      The door is open and I see
      Santa Claus, Woe is ME!
      Santa Claus Looks Like My Daddy,
      My Daddy, My Daddy,
      Santa Claus Looks Like My Daddy,
      Except for his funny red nose.
      (Kiddie laugh)
      Santa Claus is big and jolly,
      My golly, he's jolly
      Looks an awful lot like Daddy
      Except for the beard that he grows
      Now I see him by the Christmas tree
      with presents for you and presents for me.
      Stockings by the fireplace,
      Oh, he just kissed my Mommy goodnight!!
      OOOHHH!
      I am gonna tell my daddy
      Believe me, my Daddy
      When I tell him in the morning
      My Pop is gonna wanna fight
      Santa Claus may look just like my Daddy
      but he can't kiss my Mommy goodnight

      It's a funny thing about Santa Claus
      It suddenly just came to me.
      I saw him in all the department stores
      And he never looked the same to me.
      In Macy’s he was tall and fat,
      In Gimbel’s he was short and flat,
      At Rogers Peet he was red as a beet,
      At Lord & Taylor he looked much paler;
      At F.A.O. Schwartz his nose had warts,
      Next day at Sears – they disappears;
      Then came an even worse dilemma:
      Two of him were at Hammacher Schlemmer.
      Poor old Santy Claus, alack and alas,
      How does he know when it’s him in the looking glass?
      Hmmm?

      Now I see him by the Christmas tree
      With presents for you and presents for me.
      Stockings by the fireplace,
      Oh, he just kissed my Mommy goodnight!!
      WEEEOOOHHH!
      I am gonna tell my daddy
      Believe me, my Daddy
      When I tell him in the morning
      My Pop is gonna wanna fight
      Santa Claus may look just like my Daddy
      but he can't kiss my Mommy goodnight
      Merry Christmas
      He can't kiss my Mommy goodnight
      That's all!!

      If you search Danny Kaye Christmas Dog (Don't ask!) on youtube, there's a rough sounding audio, but you can hear the song clearly, just misses the first few words

      Delete